Friday, July 11, 2008

Jive talkin'.


The "Riff Blog" lashes out at "Wiggers"


It's better. But just what is it with white folks and black slang? And how do y'all know when it's appropriate?

Why the sweeping generalizations about white people? Not all white people try to emulate black culture in speech or in other aspects. But for those that do, why cant they? Should I point out to the young black man in punk leathers and bleach blond hair that hes is taking from what belongs to white people's culture and that perhaps he should not use it. Or when I see black people at a NASCAR event, should I point out that this is traditionally "white people culture".



Also, I am a firm believer that language forms its self by incorporating words from a myriad of cultural influences. Black people don't talk the way their ancestors did nor do white folks. But really, aren't all the different words and uses of words really just colloquialisms? And, would it be inappropriate for an African American to have a chin wag. I mean really; when it comes down to it, we here in America share the same culture. I am not asserting that regional and ethnic differences do not exist. I am just saying that people can talk how they want and and if one choses to emulate people who sound like they are illiterate, so be it. Stupid is, stupid does!

No comments: