Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Big Money, Big Prizes




As a child and teenager, I used to collect money from all over the world.You know. A coin collector. But not only coins, I collected bills(paper money) as well. In fact, the paper was my favorite thing to collect. It always made me think when I would look through my collection how strange it is to have denominations of 1,000, 10,000, even 25,000. The one the held my fascination the most was a note that I have form Peru for 500,000 intis. That's right! Half a million units represented in one note. In a time that I was very happy to have a bill that represented $10, a note that big was almost incomprehensible. That bill was released in 1988. Well, That's nothing. Today the Government of Zimbabwe has released their $100,000,000,000 note. That's right:! 100 billion. They say it cant even buy a loaf of bread.
Happy spending!

2 comments:

JBW said...

While not able to buy a loaf of bread, the notes can apparently buy 4 oranges.

Jeremy said...

Maybe that's what I should do. Just start printing off my own currency. I suppose it would be worth a bit more than an intis, simply because mine would be designed a lot cooler and wouldn't have so many zeros all over it. Seriously, don't you think that should just go back to using chickens?