Thursday, July 3, 2008

Colombia

Colombia has made the headlines again. But this time it is with a shining light in an otherwise dim political and socioeconomic theater. Colombian security forces were able to rescue a high profile politico and several other hostages.

The reason this is such interest to me is that I am fairly well acquainted with Colombia, and Colombians for that matter. The thing that kind of cracks me up(satirically speaking that is) is that my Colombian friends and family vehemently claim that Colombia is a safe place. Yeah right! Never mind the fact that there are some 700 citizens(Colombian, United States of American, and of the E.U.) currently with in the confinements of the FARC.

You know it is strange. I know people who have been the victims of attempted kidnappings, kidnappings, plane bombings and to this day some of them and their family members still claim that Colombia is a safe place to visit.

Personally, the last time I was there, I was paranoid the whole time. Especially when we went out with all the boys the "strip club"(we were there for a cousins wedding). Our newly acquired family member Ruben told us when we arrived.

"Here you are all Colombians. You are not Mexican. You are not American. You are all Colombians."

In fact, he told me not to even talk until we were safe within the compound walls because of my thick Cal-Spanish accent.

Fortunately, the night went on without incident. But that does not change that fact the threat of being kidnapped still exists.

Who wants to go?

2 comments:

JBW said...

Dude, I would love to visit many of the South American countries but I would stick out like a Caucasian in South America, and in a place like Columbia that ain't good.

Intrepid Californio said...

Believe it or not, although you are fairer than most in Bogota, if you spat Spanish like a native, it would not be so surprising. Colombia has a large caucasian population with not much cross breeding. They are the ruling class. So as long as you did not speak, you honky ass would be alright.