Sunday, October 5, 2008

Born in the U.S.A

I have had mixed views on the "Boss" in the past. For many years I falsely thought of him as your typical right wing red neck kind of guy based on the sound and style portrayed in his more main stream music. In recent years I have started to think differently. It first started when I learned that Bruce regularly performed "This Land Is Your Land" By Woody Guthrie and that he often added alternative lyrics that cried for equality and against oppression. Later, Springsteen put out an album of old folk songs from the early part of the 20th century. "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions" introduce me and others to the works of black listed artist and political activist Peter Seeger.
On Saturday, Bruce performed at a "register to vote" rally in Philadelphia and did some Obama praising as well. I am now officially a big Bruce fan. He delivered what seemed to be a well thought out(but not rehearsed) speech that was honest and ponderable. See below.

1 comment:

JBW said...

I've never been much of a Boss fan myself (just not my cup of tea) but I agree with his sentiments; he's truly the blur-collar worker's rock star.